Friday, March 24, 2017

Tomato. Tomato paste.

A while back, probably at least two years ago, Jeremy had a random week where he talked in his sleep a few times. Not anything conversational, just two simple phrases on two separate nights.

The first night this happened, he said, very matter of factly, "Taylor Swift." And that was that.

HAH. If you know me at all, you know precisely how I feel about the surge in popularity Miss Swift had a few years ago. Jer still hasn't heard the end of that one.

Then a few nights later, matter of factly once more, he said "Tomato. Tomato Paste." And back to quiet dreamland he went.

We still reference that one on a weekly basis, or more, thanks to basically ALL of my dinner recipes involving the gloriousness that is tomato paste. I use it so often that I buy it in bulk from Thrive Market, in beautiful little glass jars that keep well in the fridge.

So with that, here are a few of my favorite ways to use tomato paste.

1. Ketchup- combine tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, honey/maple syrup/other sweetener of choice, salt, and allspice to make a simple, tasty, healthier ketchup. You can fancy it up with other seasonings or leave it simple with those five ingredients. You can even ferment it by adding sauerkraut juice and letting it sit for a few days!

2. Pizza hummus- use chickpeas as a base, and add garlic, oregano, salt, parmesan cheese, olive oil, and tomato paste- a delicious take on a food that is already tasty.

3. Masala sauce- tomato paste, and some diced tomatoes, along with onion, garlic, ginger, and masala is a great base for so many Indian dishes.

4. Enchilada sauce- a roux of flour, oil, and chili powder added to water, tomato paste, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, and salt makes an enchilada sauce that is far better than anything you can buy at the store.

5. Marinara sauce can always be helped out with tomato paste, or this lentil bolognese that I have been obsessed with for a few months (I use fresh lemon juice in place of the verjus rouge because I don't have fancy ingredients in my kitchen.)

What else am I missing out on?

1 comment:

  1. I think there should be dinner invitations available.
    Or, I'd like to make a reservation.
    Also, I'd like to buy ketchup.
    :)

    ReplyDelete