Sunday, April 9, 2017

A Day in the Life

(This was written a few days ago.)

Only a few things can make you jump out of bed from a dead sleep and become almost wide awake at 5:30am.

Today, Jeremy mumbled something to me shortly after Harrison had woken me up to nurse, and I had no idea what he said and almost ignored him but asked him to say it again. After he repeated himself and I realized my good friend was in labor, five weeks early, and I had missed the call because it was so early that I wasn't even expecting a middle of the night call, my mind was wide awake, and my body followed.

Funny how we hadn't even planned what we would do with Harrison when I went to attend my friend's birth, as we figured we had plenty of time to sort it out.

I threw some clothes on, kissed my sleeping baby goodbye, and told Jeremy "good luck," because that's what you need when you're thrown into bringing your 11-month-old to work for an undetermined amount of time, right?

This is only the second time I've left Harrison for more than an hour or so (the first time was for another friend's birth), and it is so bittersweet. It was a bit easier this time, as even though he is still getting most of his nutrients from nursing, he is not entirely dependent on me if I'm not available. So for much of the day he subsisted on bone broth, egg yolk, avocado, and sauerkraut. Not too shabby, thanks Jer!

But emotionally, I still prefer to be with my baby almost all hours of the day. It's just what feels right to me, and it seems as though Harrison agrees. But it truly was a bit easier this time around, and for that I am thankful.

Being with a family as they welcome their baby into the world is such a beautiful experience, and even more so when the parents are close friends. I love watching the strength of the father, as he comforts his wife, speaks to her peacefully, loves on her in a language the two of them understand. I love watching the strength of a mother, as she breathes through pressure waves, relaxes deeply, allows her body to take over, surrendering to the primal beauty of birthing a baby. 

There is truly nothing like it.

I cried right along with them (on the sidelines) when they got to hold and meet their baby for the first time on this side of the world. New life is such a celebration. The privilege of being present in those moments will never be lost on me.

And the privilege of then going home to be with my baby will also never be lost on me. Harrison and I spent the remainder of the day reconnecting. Nursing in bed, napping together, babywearing. Letting go of other obligations and being present with my son.

I am continually in awe of the beauty of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment